Confessions of a Drone Warrior

uav-predatorConfessions of a Drone Warrior

He was an experiment, really. One of the first recruits for a new kind of warfare in which men and machines merge. He flew multiple missions, but he never left his computer. He hunted top terrorists, saved lives, but always from afar. He stalked and killed countless people, but could not always tell you precisely what he was hitting. Meet the 21st-century American killing machine. who’s still utterly, terrifyingly human

From the darkness of a box in the Nevada desert, he watched as three men trudged down a dirt road in Afghanistan. The box was kept cold—precisely sixty-eight degrees—and the only light inside came from the glow of monitors. The air smelled spectrally of stale sweat and cigarette smoke. On his console, the image showed the midwinter landscape of eastern Afghanistan’s Kunar Province—a palette of browns and grays, fields cut to stubble, dark forests climbing the rocky foothills of the Hindu Kush. He zoomed the camera in on the suspected insurgents, each dressed in traditional shalwar kameez, long shirts and baggy pants. He knew nothing else about them: not their names, not their thoughts, not the thousand mundane and profound details of their lives.

Read more: http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/201311/drone-uav-pilot-assassination?printable=true

21 National Guard soldiers charged with defrauding government

21 National Guard soldiers charged with defrauding government

PHOENIX — A former special military unit commander and 20 of current and former Air National Guard soldiers have been charged with defrauding the government. Indictments unveiled Monday contend that the soldiers falsified records and used fake addresses to say they were on temporary assignments outside of Arizona when, in fact, they were still living at home in Tucson.

That act is significant because those assignments entitle the soldiers to get extra “temporary duty disbursements.’ And state Attorney General Tom Horne said that, for some of the soldiers, that extra pay over the course of three years amounted to more than $100,000 apiece.  Overall, he said the total amount stolen from taxpayers, was $1.4 million.

Read more: http://verdenews.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=56846

Military misconduct cases worry Pentagon brass

Department of DefenseMilitary misconduct cases worry Pentagon brass

Recent allegations against generals and admirals create concern about ethical and moral shortcomings among senior officers.

WASHINGTON — A flood of misconduct cases involving generals and admirals has created deep concern at the Pentagon about ethical and moral shortcomings among senior military officers and prompted new steps to tighten rules, increase inspections and weed out offenders, officials said.

The most recent cases — a Navy admiral under investigation for using counterfeit gambling chips and an Air Force general in charge of nuclear-tipped missiles relieved for drunkenness off duty — follow a long list of officer wrongdoing over the last year. The offenses include ethical lapses and allegations of criminal violations, including sexual assault.

Senior officers who have examined the problem insist that no evidence suggests widespread misconduct among the nearly 1,000 generals and admirals in the armed forces. The number of cases where allegations of misconduct are substantiated remains low and offenders are punished when identified, they say.

Read more: http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-generals-misconduct-20131019,0,1744271.story#axzz2iP4NVz32

A Soldier’s Memoir (PTSD Song) by Joe Bachman

Learn more about this Patriot: http://www.joebachman.com/

Rape Culture and the US Military, Pt 2…And the Scandals Keep Coming

Brian LewisRape Culture and US Military, Pt 2…And the Scandals Keep Coming

Male Survivors of Military Sexual Assault

In the Pentagon’s recently released survey, it was estimated that 26,000 cases of sexual assault and rape occurred in the military in 2012. Of these, more than half were estimated to have been committed against men; 14,000 attacks on men, 12,000 on women. This means there was an estimated 38 men and 33 women assaulted in the military every day. The survey also said that male survivors report at “much lower rates” than women. On the 16th, Navy veteran and military rape survivor Brian Lewis was interviewed by NBC News. He had spoken alongside Senator Gillibrand that day as she announced her new legislation (which I’ll get more into next week). Lewis offered insight on the culture that silences male survivors even more effectively than it does female ones.

“As a culture, we’ve somewhat moved past the idea that a female wanted this trauma to occur, but we haven’t moved past that for male survivors.”

“In a lot of areas of the military, men are still viewed as having wanted it or of being homosexual. That’s not correct at all. It’s a crime of power and control.”

“…there’s the notion…that you misconstrued their horseplay.”

A spokesperson for the Pentagon announced a plan to better support male survivors, but since it’s doubtful it will go far enough and does next to nothing to solve the actual problem, it looks like little more than a PR move.

 “[The Pentagon] has reached out to organizations supporting male survivors for assistance and information to help inform our way ahead.”

Brian Lewis questioned how helpful this would be.

“I applaud the stand on behalf of male survivors. However, I would be interested  in hearing what organizations they are partnering with considering there are none especially geared for male survivors of military sexual trauma.”

Read more: http://amplifyyourvoice.org/u/afy_samantha/2013/5/25/rape-culture-and-the-us-military-pt.-2

Military Justice Improvement Act

MJIAThe Military Justice Improvement Act was introduced on May 16th by Senator Kirsten Gillibrand. Of the six bills that have been introduced, this is the one that has gotten the most attention, likely because it dismantles the policies that allow the military’s rape culture to thrive.

“Under the legislation, discretion on whether to prosecute sexual assaults and other crimes punishable by more than a year in prison would be given to military prosecutors instead of the commanding officers.”

The bill also bans convening authorities from overturning a conviction or changing a conviction to a lesser offense. Taking the power away from the chain of command, giving it to legal professionals, and keeping it within the authority of military courts will fundamentally change the way that sexual assault cases are reported and prosecuted. This type of system has a much higher chance of being trusted and utilized by survivors.

Tamron Hall, host of News Nation on MSNBC, spoke with Jennifer Norris, a military rape survivor who was part of Senator Gillibrand’s press announcement on her new bill. She asked Norris about the confidence that women have in receiving justice under current policies.

“Women lost the confidence a long, long time ago. Hence the reason that today’s introduction of Senator Gillibrand’s bill was just so touching to me. It’s the first piece of legislation that actually has real substance to it to give us that confidence back.”

The kind of changes this bill would enact is being criticized by some who believe that making structural changes will cause more harm than good. The critics don’t seem to understand that wanting to hold on to this structure is the basis of the problem to begin with. Senator Lindsey Graham, for example, has said he is “adamantly opposed” to the bill and thinks “it will do a lot of damage.”

 “For 200 years, military commanders have been the court martial authority.”

“And sexual assaults are not on the rise because the military justice system lets people go. It’s on the rise because of the culture that’s created in the military.”

What the Senator doesn’t realize is that the culture of the military is what allows the military justice system to “let people go.” That’s how rape culture works. It’s structural. And unless and until you change that structure, the problem will remain the same.

By the Numbers:

Co-Sponsors: 17 (13D, 4R)

Status: In Committee (Senate Armed Services)

Estimated chance of being enacted: 2%

More information on the Military Justice Improvement Act can be found here.

Original Link: http://amplifyyourvoice.org/u/afy_samantha/2013/05/31/rape-culture-and-the-us-military-pt.-3-legislation

A Stranger in My Home Premiered ‘Trailer Park Terror’ on ID: Rick Taber Killed Next Door Neighbor Micky Widmer in Minnesota (October 20, 2013)

Mickey Widmer and her boyfriend Darnell Mears move into a Minnesota trailer park looking for a fresh start, but after meeting Rick Taber, a reclusive neighbor, he grows too close for comfort. Good neighbors go bad; and bad neighbors spill blood. -Trailer Park Terror, A Stranger in My Home (S1,E2)

Editor’s note: With a cable subscription, you can download the free ID Go app and watch Investigation Discovery programming at your convenience. And for those who do not have cable, you can watch “unlocked” episodes on the ID Go app including the latest premieres. For those who prefer commercial free programming during your binge session, Prime Video has an ID channel: ‘True Crime Files by Investigation Discovery” available for $3.99 a month. It’s a compilation of older seasons but totally worth the cost if you are a true crime addict. Download the ID Go app or purchase ID True Crime Files & binge away.

Related Links:
Trailer Park Terror | A Stranger in My Home | Investigation Discovery (S1,E2)
Trailer Park Terror | A Stranger in My Home | Investigation Discovery (website)
Trailer Park Terror | A Stranger in My Home | Investigation Discovery (Amazon)
Michaela Widmer Found Murdered in Minnesota Cemetery; Suspect Ricardo Taber Guilty of Stolen Valor, Died by Suicide (July 25, 2009)

DoD Identifies Army Casualty

US ArmyDoD Identifies Army Casualty

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. Lyle D. Turnbull, 31, of Norfolk, Va., died Oct. 18, in Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, from a medical emergency. The cause of his death is under investigation.

Turnbull was assigned to the 62nd Expeditionary Signal Battalion, 11th Signal Brigade, Fort Hood, Texas.

For more information related to this release, the media should contact the Fort Hood public affairs office at (254) 287-9993 or (254) 287-0106.

Original link: http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=16325

Adjustment disorder may now net disability pay

Veterans AffairsAdjustment disorder may now net disability pay

The Pentagon has changed its physical disability policy to include chronic adjustment disorder as a condition potentially eligible for disability compensation.

The Defense Department amended DoD Instruction 1332.38 in April to name chronic adjustment disorder as incompatible with military service, but possibly service-related and therefore eligible for disability compensation.

The change is notable because thousands of service members have been discharged for adjustment disorder, which had been previously characterized as a condition present before troops joined the military, and therefore ineligible for compensation or mental health treatment.

A Defense Department spokeswoman said the change was made to bring the policy in line with the Veterans Affairs Department’s schedule of rating of disabilities.

Critics have charged that the military services used the diagnosis of adjustment disorder in lieu of post-traumatic stress disorder to avoid paying benefits to troops who could no longer serve.

Read more: http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20131011/NEWS/310110027/Adjustment-disorder-may-now-net-disability-pay

Commandant Amos calls for renewed focus on discipline

James AmosCommandant Amos calls for renewed focus on discipline

WASHINGTON — The Marine Corps’ top officer is calling on the service to renew its focus on discipline and standards amid early signs that 12 years of combat have caused some “fraying” of the service’s values.

“My greatest focus will be kind of getting us back to the fundamental business of a disciplined Marine Corps,” Gen. James Amos, the Marine Corps commandant, said in an interview this week.

Amos has issued letters to the corps’ top leadership and noncommissioned officers calling on them to not relax standards as Marines return to the barracks after years of deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan. Most U.S. forces will have left Afghanistan by the end of next year.

Read more: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20131017/NEWS/310170025/Commandant-Amos-calls-renewed-focus-discipline