Kirsten Gillibrand faces 60-vote bar on sex-assault reform

Stacey Thompson MJIA

Kirsten Gillibrand faces 60-vote bar on sex-assault reform

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand’s bid to overhaul the military’s sexual assault policies took a big hit Monday after two key opponents said she’s going to need  60 votes for a win.

Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin (D-Mich.) told POLITICO that  Gillibrand’s amendment to remove the chain of command from prosecuting major  crimes like sexual assault is too controversial to avoid a filibuster instead of  a 51-vote simple majority.

Read more here.

Breaking the chain: Sen. Gillibrand’s mission to change military policy on sexual assault

RetaliationBreaking the chain: Sen. Gillibrand’s mission to change military policy on sexual assault

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand is on a mission to change how the military prosecutes sexual assaults. She points to one statistic to explain why: 60 percent of those who reported sexual assaults last year were retaliated against by their superiors. “The victims tell us over and over again that they don’t trust the chain of command,” Gillibrand, a New York Democrat, told “The Fine Print.”

Gillibrand is calling for removing sexual assault cases from the chain of command, so decisions on whether to try such cases would be made by military prosecutors, not commanders.

Watch video: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-players-abc-news/breaking-the-chain–sen–gillibrand%E2%80%99s-mission-to-change-military-policy-on-sexual-assault-213205898.html?vp=1

Gillibrand Fact Sheet on Sexual Assaults in the Military

Stacey Thompson MJIA

Gillibrand Fact Sheet on Sexual Assaults in the Military

Washington, D.C. — U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand’s office released the following facts today. Any of the following can be attributed to Senator Gillibrand’s office:

Today we heard more of the same in opposition to the bipartisan coalition sponsoring the Military Justice Improvement Act. This carefully crafted legislation supported by 44 Senators from both sides of the aisle seeks to reverse the systemic fear that numerous victims of military sexual assault have told us they have in deciding whether to report the crimes committed against them due to the clear bias and inherent conflicts of interest posed by the military chain of command’s current sole decision-making power. According to the 2012 SAPRO Report, 25% of women and 27% of men who received unwanted sexual contact indicated the offender was someone in their military chain of command.

According to DOD, 50% of female victims stated they did not report the crime because they believed that nothing would be done with their report. Even the current top military leadership admits the current system “has failed” and victims do not come forward because “they don’t trust the chain of command.” The bill is supported by the International Federation of Professional & Technical Engineers (IFPTE), and all the leading victim’s advocates groups, including but not limited to, Service Women’s Action Network (SWAN), Protect Our Defenders (POD), Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA), the National Women’s Law Center, Vietnam Veterans of America, The National Alliance to End Sexual Violence (NAESV), plus former Generals, former JAG officers and survivors of sexual assault across the country.

This legislation was drafted in direct response to the testimony heard in the Armed Services Subcommittee on Personnel from victims of sexual assault in the military, and the testimony of the military leadership. Unfortunately, in opposition to the victims, the full SASC committee chose to strike the Military Justice Improvement Act during the mark-up of the NDDA, protecting the current broken system.

The problem of sexual assault in the military is not new, neither are the pledges of “zero tolerance” from the commanders and senior members of the committee, which date all the way back to then-Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney in 1992. Below is a fact sheet correcting some of the misinformation used by opponents of the Military Justice Improvement Act:

Myth: Moving the decision over whether prosecutions move forward from the chain of command to independent military prosecutors will increase retaliation against victims. If an independent prosecutor, and not the commander, moves the case forward others will take it less seriously and retaliation will increase.

Fact: There is absolutely zero statistical or anecdotal evidence that would lend any credibility to this theory. Contrary to that theory, in the current DoD SAPRO survey, of those who responded they have been victims of USC, 62% say they have already been retaliated against which demonstrates the current chain of command structure some are seeking to protect is not working to protect victims. The idea that a commander putting forth the court martial “protects victims from retaliation” is directly rebutted by victims own reports, and ignores anecdotal evidence that commanders are also sometimes the assailant, or have conflicts of interest when a superior officer victimizes a lower ranking servicemember. Additionally, according to a 7 month investigation by the San Antonio Express, a survey of 1,200 service members who sought help since 2003 at the Military Rape Crisis Center found that 90% of victims who reported sexual assault where involuntarily discharged and diagnosed with mental disorders (an extreme form of retaliation).

Myth: We will have more prosecutions from within the chain of command because commanders move forward cases that civilian lawyers would not. Under the Gillibrand bill, if the lawyer doesn’t want to prosecute a case, it ends. Under the Levin bill, the commander can move forward even if the prosecutor doesn’t want to.

Fact: To claim keeping prosecutions inside the chain of command will increase prosecutions is not supported by the statistics. Of the DoD’s 26,000 estimated cases, only 2,558 victims sought justice by filing an unrestricted report and only an abysmal 302 proceeded to trial. A chain of command orientated system that produces only 302 prosecutions of 2,558 actionable reports is simply not holding enough alleged assailants accountable under any metric. The Military Justice Improvement Act will increase victims perception that they can receive an unbiased chance at justice, increasing unrestricted reporting and the number of successful prosecutions, which will put more sexual predators behind bars unable to victimize men and women in uniform again and again.

While the claim that under the Levin bill a commander can proceed against the lawyers recommendation is true, it omits the fact that rarely does a commander currently disagree with his JAG attorney. Additionally, it omits that in the current structure that the NDAA protects, the JAG making the recommendation to the commander is in the commander’s direct chain of command. Under the Military Justice Improvement Act, the JAG making the decision to proceed to trial would be independent of the commander and any possible bias from within the chain of command, such as the current ability for a commander to choose a jury pool.

Lastly, the argument that we should go all the way in the other direction by reducing the civil liberties of the accused does not adhere to the fundamental values of a fair and independent American justice system.

Myth: Critics say this lets the commanders off the hook. How can you hold them accountable when you reduce their power?

Fact: This is a false choice and just plain inaccurate. There is nothing about this proposal that lets commanders off the hook. Commanders will still be held accountable for setting the command climate whether or not they make this one legal decision.  They are still fully responsible for and in control of their troops.  In fact, this proposal leaves many crimes within the chain of command, including 37 serious crimes that are unique to the military, such as going AWOL or insubordination, in addition to all misdemeanor type crimes under Article 15. That’s why a law professor and former Air Force officer wrote in the New York Times, “Everything about the proposal takes military needs into account, except for the fact that military leaders don’t like change.”

Myth: Victims can already report the crimes committed against them outside of the chain of command.

Fact: Of course they can, but under the current system, regardless of whom you report the crime to initially, it ultimately ends up on the desk of the commander who becomes the sole decision maker over whether a case moves forward. The commander holds all the cards regardless of where the crime is reported and it is this bias in the system that keeps victims from coming forward and reporting the crime anywhere because they do not believe they can receive justice.

Myth: This proposal will lead to fewer trials since prosecutors are concerned about their win/loss record and will only recommend cases they can win.

Fact: This reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of how the military justice system works. JAGs move back and forth between defense and prosecution assignments, so they are less concerned about their prosecution numbers. Prosecutors are detailed to the billet for 2-3 years and take whatever cases are given to them by their department head.  The department head takes the cases that are preferred/referred.  Under our new structure the O-6 JAG would have the disposition authority to decide if a case proceeds to trial based on the strengths/weaknesses of the evidence.  In the military, prosecutors are professionally graded on a whole host of matters – not just wins/losses.  In fact, military prosecutors often receive praise from their superiors for being willing to take tough cases to trial.

Important Facts:

  • Of the Active Duty women who indicated experiencing USC and did not report it to a military Authority — 66 percent said they felt uncomfortable making a report.
  • Of the Active Duty women who indicated that they experienced USC and did not report it, 50 percent believed that nothing would be done with their report, and 43 percent heard about negative experiences other victims went through who reported their situation.
  • Of those women who experienced USC and did not report it, 47 percent indicated fear of retaliation or reprisal as the reason for not reporting.
  • Across the services, 74% of Females and 60% of Males perceived one or more barriers to reporting sexual assault.

Original Link: http://www.gillibrand.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/gillibrand-fact-sheet-on-sexual-assaults-in-the-military

Compass: Guard takes sexual assault seriously

Thomas KatkusBy GEN. THOMAS KATKUS         

As commissioner for the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs and adjutant general for the Alaska National Guard, I am responsible for ensuring all personnel aggressively root out any harassment, hostile work environments, sexual assault or trading of sexual favors. These actions have no place in America’s work environment. This responsibility to our military family and our state workforce is nonnegotiable.

When Gov. Sean Parnell spoke at the Alaska Federation of Natives conference in Fairbanks last week, he clearly stated that respect is a traditional value that crosses all cultures. This is also true when it comes to the culture of the military. “Choose Respect” is not a slogan — it is a way of life for our military community, as it should be.

Read more here.

Wisconsin National Guard launches dedicated counsel program for sexual assault victims

National GuardWisconsin National Guard launches dedicated counsel program for sexual assault victims

MADISON, Wis. – Military sexual assault prevention and response programs have  gained attention over the past year as a Department of Defense report shows an  increase in reported sexual assaults. Maj. Gen. Donald Dunbar, Wisconsin  adjutant general, has made it clear the issue is a top priority in the Wisconsin  National Guard as well.

“There is no place for sexual assault in the  Wisconsin National Guard,” Dunbar said. “We will not look the other  way.”

Over the past few months, Dunbar and other senior Wisconsin  National Guard leaders have visited every Wisconsin National Guard unit and  facility to convey that simple, unmistakable message.

Currently, the  Wisconsin National Guard’s sexual assault prevention and response program  provides sexual assault and domestic violence victims with emergency response  assistance, counseling and therapy referrals, personal and systemic advocacy,  and access to applicable benefits. But as of Oct. 1, Wisconsin National Guard  members coping with the unthinkable crime of being sexually assaulted by a  fellow service member have a new advocate.

Read more: http://www.dvidshub.net/news/116009/wisconsin-national-guard-launches-dedicated-counsel-program-sexual-assault-victims#.UnT-tiLD_mI

Air Force lawyers draw fire over sexual assault policy

USAF SealAir Force lawyers draw fire over sexual assault policy

Top Air Force lawyers are under fire after urging subordinates to rally  against a Senate proposal that would overhaul the military’s sexual assault  policies.

A letter obtained by POLITICO shows Lt. Gen. Richard Harding,  the Air Force judge advocate general, and Col. Jeffrey Rockwell, urging their  fellow military lawyers to take sides against a Senate amendment expected to  come up for a floor vote before Thanksgiving that removes the command chain from  major criminal prosecutions.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/air-force-lawyers-sexual-assault-policy-99099.html

Lawmaker sustains 6-month hold on 3-star’s nomination

Susan HelmsLawmaker sustains 6-month hold on 3-star’s nomination

For six months, a prominent Democratic lawmaker has blocked Lt. Gen. Susan Helms’ nomination to be vice commander of Space Command, making it unlikely that she will ever be confirmed.

Helms continues to serve as commander of 14th Air Force. Lt. Gen. John Hyten has already been confirmed to replace her, but the Air Force is waiting for Helms to be confirmed before moving forward, Air Force spokesman Capt. Adam Gregory said. Helms’ nomination will expire in January 2015.

Both Helms and Hyten declined to comment for this story, Gregory said.

Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri first objected to Helms nomination in April and then reaffirmed her stance in June, citing Helms’ decision to overturn the sex assault conviction of a captain at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., in February 2012.

Read more: http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20131027/NEWS05/310270007/Lawmaker-sustains-6-month-hold-3-star-s-nomination

Update on Exemption for PTSD (MST) Counseling on Security Clearance

Office of Director of NSAActive Duty: Please be warned that the counseling for Military Sexual Trauma was only exempt from the security clearance questionnaire as interim guidance. This means that the ruling was only temporary. We need you to contact Representative Chellie Pingree and Senator Jon Tester and let them know that the National Intelligence Agency needs to make this policy permanent. There is no reason that it should not be included as an exemption with the counseling for combat PTSD, spousal counseling, and grief counseling.

September 17, 2013: Letter to DNI Clapper (10/24/13 03:29 PM PST)

Read more: http://pingree.house.gov/press-releases/tester-pingree-question-intelligence-director-over-security-clearance-reversal2/

Alaska National Guard Updates Military Justice Code (2016)

National GuardSexual Assault Prevention and Response Program

Alaska National Guard unit being investigated for allegations of sexual misconduct
Alaska National Guard Responds to Allegations of Sexual Assault
Alleged Alaska National Guard Sexual Assault Victim Speaks Out
National Guard Sexual Assault Survivor Speaks Out
Rape victim says Alaska National Guard violated her confidentiality
Scathing report on Alaska National Guard forces out commander
The Three-Headed Monster
Alaska National Guard recruiter fights accusations of misconduct
Alaska National Guard Sex Abuse Scandal Threatens GOP Governor’s Re-election
National Guard documents detail chronic misconduct among recruiting leaders
Alaska National Guard condoned ‘weapons smuggling, rape, and drug trafficking’
Alaska Gov. Walker names new Guard adjutant general
First woman commander of Alaska National Guard: ‘no old boys network’
It’s time for action to protect our Alaska National Guard
State releases 4,000-plus email pages in Alaska National Guard scandal
Special Investigator’s Report on Alaska National Guard Sexual Harassment and Abuse Issues
Report: Inadequate records kept of National Guard complaints
Report cites command climate problems in Alaska Guard probe
Alaska National Guard investigation results confirm mishandling of complaints
National Guard pilot’s experience as sexual assault victim singled out
Investigator calls for Alaska National Guard reform on sexual assaults
Broken Trust: How whistle-blowers and victims in the Alaska National Guard went unheard
Alaska National Guard calls for new military code
Alaska National Guard presses lawmakers to adopt new military code
Alaska House passes bill updating military justice code
In wake of National Guard scandal, House passes reforms to Alaska military justice code
Alaska House of Representatives Unanimously Approves Code of Military Justice for the Alaska National Guard
Alaska Code of Military Justice: HB 126 and the Alaska National Guard
Legislation: Alaska House Bill 60: Military: Sexual Assault
Governor Walker Applauds Adoption of Alaska Code of Military Justice
Governor to sign update to Alaska’s military justice code

Power and Control Wheel

Power & Control Wheel #DVAM #DV

Learn more about how abusers use power and control to dominate their victims, especially within close networks like families and work centers.