Two ex-Naval Academy football players face trial for sex assault

US NavyTwo ex-Naval Academy football players face trial for sex assault

Two former U.S. Naval Academy football players accused of sexually assaulting a female midshipman will be tried by general courts-martial, the school said on Thursday.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/10/us-usa-military-sexualassault-idUSBRE9990QL20131010

Discharge dropped for airman who claimed retaliation

USAF LogoDischarge dropped for airman who claimed retaliation

Senior Airman Ciera Bridges, who had been facing discharge under other than honorable conditions, was featured in an Oct. 7 recent Air Force Times report on three airmen who claim they were retaliated against after accusing superiors of assault and harassment. Bridges was cited repeatedly for minor misconduct after she began making complaints against superiors for the harassment, which she said began soon after she arrived at Nellis in November 2009 and persisted for nearly three years.

Read more: http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20131009/NEWS/310090032/Discharge-dropped-airman-who-claimed-retaliation

Air Force Drops Discharge Of Sexual Assault Victim – After Story Breaks

USAF SealAir Force Drops Discharge Of Sexual Assault Victim – After Story Breaks

The Air Force has dropped its recommendation to discharge a servicewoman who claimed that she was sexually harassed and assaulted by three of her superiors — two days after the Air Force Times first reported on the alleged retaliation.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/10/air-force-sexual-assault_n_4078687.html

Michael Carey, Air Force General In Charge Of Nuclear Missiles, To Be Fired Over ‘Loss Of Trust’

Michael CareyMichael Carey, Air Force General In Charge Of Nuclear Missiles, To Be Fired Over ‘Loss Of Trust’

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Air Force said Friday it fired the two-star general in charge of its nuclear missiles in response to an investigation into alleged personal misbehavior. It was the second sacking this week of a senior commander of nuclear forces.

Maj. Gen. Michael Carey was removed from command of the 20th Air Force, which is responsible for three wings of intercontinental ballistic missiles — a total of 450 missiles at three bases across the country, according to an Air Force spokesman, Brig. Gen. Les Kodlick.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/11/michael-carey-fired_n_4085154.html?utm_hp_ref=ma

Army explores predicting suicides as a way to prevent them

Army explores predicting suicides as a way to prevent them

Even as thousands of U.S. troops were dying in Iraq and Afghanistan during the 12 years of war following 9/11, about 3,000 perished by their own hand, nearly the same as the number of people lost on the day of those terrorist attacks.

Indeed, suicide is a perennial stain on the military that’s growing worse each year, a trajectory baffling to military leaders and devastating to the thousands of shattered families left behind.

Read more: http://www.armytimes.com/article/20131005/NEWS/310050008/Army-explores-predicting-suicides-way-prevent-them

Suspect jailed after allegedly strangling one man to death, stabbing another

US ArmySuspect jailed after allegedly strangling one man to death, stabbing another

RAISIN TWP.   —  A 31-year-old soldier on leave from the  U.S. Army is lodged at the Lenawee County Jail after he allegedly strangled a  man to death and stabbed another in the shoulder Saturday morning at 2985 Gady  Road, Lot 63, in Raisin Township, according to the Michigan State  Police. The deceased victim is a 20-year-old man from Adrian. The second  victim is an 18-year-old man from Adrian who was treated for lacerations and  released.

Read more: http://www.lenconnect.com/article/20131005/NEWS/131009586

Oregon guardsman guilty of raping 11-year-old girl

National GuardOregon guardsman guilty of raping 11-year-old girl

BEND, ORE. — An Oregon National Guard soldier from Bend has been convicted of raping his fellow guardsman’s 11-year-old daughter.

The Bend Bulletin reports that 35-year-old Florentino Allen Valdez hung his head after Judge Stephen Forte returned the guilty verdict Wednesday, and cried as he left the courtroom.

Read more: http://www.armytimes.com/article/20131010/NEWS06/310100022/Ore-guardsman-guilty-raping-11-year-old-girl

Former Carson soldier pleads guilty in infant stepson’s death

US ArmyFormer Carson soldier pleads guilty in infant stepson’s death

Zachary Ryan Doggett pleaded guilty to fatal child abuse on Wednesday under a plea agreement with prosecutors. The Gazette reported that Doggett’s voice cracked as he told the judge the decision to plead guilty was “mine and mine alone.”

Read more: http://www.armytimes.com/article/20131010/NEWS06/310100008/Former-Carson-soldier-pleads-guilty-infant-stepson-s-death

Fort Hood trial cost government about $5 million

Nidal HasanFort Hood trial cost government about $5 million

FORT WORTH, TEXAS — The U.S. government spent nearly $5 million to court-martial and convict an Army psychiatrist in the 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage, according to records reviewed by a North Texas television station.

The biggest pre-trial expense in Maj. Nidal Hasan’s trial was more than $1 million for transportation for witnesses, jurors and attorneys, according to Army records obtained by KXAS-TV of Fort Worth and Dallas. About $90,000 was spent to house the witnesses.

Read more: http://www.armytimes.com/article/20131007/NEWS06/310070012/Fort-Hood-trial-cost-government-about-5-million

Former GI gets 30 years in Polk soldier’s death

US ArmyFormer GI gets 30 years in Polk soldier’s death

LAKE CHARLES, LA. — A 28-year-old Army veteran, who pleaded guilty in June to second-degree murder in the 2010 slaying of a soldier at Fort Polk, has been sentenced in federal court in Lake Charles.

KPLC-TV reports Marcus Carey was sentenced Tuesday to 30 years in prison in the death of Byron Whitcomb, of Whitefish, Mont., and for the attempted murder of another soldier, Howard Alley.

Read more: http://www.armytimes.com/article/20131008/NEWS06/310080032/Former-GI-gets-30-years-Polk-soldier-s-death